India's external debt stock increased 8.9% to $376.3 billion at the end of December 2012 from $345.5 billion at the end of March 2012. According to data released by the Finance Ministry, short-term debt accounted for 24.4% of India's external debt while the remaining (75.6%) was long-term debt.

The share of Government (Sovereign) and non-Government debt in the total external debt were 21.7% and 78.3%, respectively, at the of end December 2012. Read More

Donate to IndiaSpend

Support IndiaSpend’s award-winning investigative journalism.

Your tax-deductible contribution to IndiaSpend will help us, and other publications around the country, reveal critical stories that otherwise wouldn’t be told - stories that make a difference!