Latest Reports
The Highs And Lows Of India’s Mango

The Highs And Lows Of India’s Mango

With the lifting of the ban by European Union on mango imports from India, shipments are expected to see a jump of 40-50% over the next financial year, according to Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh.…

1 in 4 Delhi Voter Names Need Deletion

1 in 4 Delhi Voter Names Need Deletion

Nearly 1 in 4 voters in Delhi is likely to see their names deleted from the voter list, affecting the electoral outcomes of some constituencies that have witnessed close fights during the 2013 assembly elections. Delhi goes to polls on February 7th and the results will be announced on February 10th. …

Why The US Backs India’s Great Solar Bet

Why The US Backs India’s Great Solar Bet

‘Energy To All’ is one of the primary agenda of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. India, with a population of more than 1.2 billion, is still a power-deficient nation. The average per capita consumption is hardly over 900 units compared to 15,000 units a year for developed countries across the world.…

Russian Arms On Display, But US Is Supplier #1

Russian Arms On Display, But US Is Supplier #1

US President Barack Obama’s visit to India is characterised by a series of symbolic firsts in the larger contours of Indo-US relations. Obama is the first US President to be invited to India as Chief Guest on Republic Day. His is also the first serving US President to visit India more than once.…

Prime Time: India's Grand Challenges

At 66, The Indian Republic Has Much To Do

At 66, The Indian Republic Has Much To Do

As the latest military hardware, ranks of soldiers marching in perfect step, pomp, glory and Barack Obama mark India's 66th republic day, praise is likely to be heaped on Prime Minister Narendra Modi for projecting India as an emerging superpower.…

Your Poisoned Food, Our Unending Greed

Your Poisoned Food, Our Unending Greed

Akhilanand Mishra will never forget how he found his son Ashish Kumar, “vomiting and with diarrhoea”, indications that the five-year-old child’s body was trying to expel poisons after eating his government-provided midday meal in July 2013.…

9 Of 10 Private Sector Retirees Have No Pensions, Health Insurance

9 Of 10 Private Sector Retirees Have No Pensions, Health Insurance

Only 8% employees who retire from the private sector in India are covered by pensions while the remaining 92% have no income security or health insurance, according to a recent report released by Crisil, a ratings agency.…

Jobs Decline In India’s Biggest Employment Arena

Jobs Decline In India’s Biggest Employment Arena

Employment in the informal sector, the biggest provider of jobs in India, has declined 6% from 2004-05, according to government data.…

Read More on Prime Time: India's Grand Challenges

Viznomics: A Quick Glance At Big Issues

India’s Growth Rate To Overtake China in 2016: IMF

India’s Growth Rate To Overtake China in 2016: IMF

India is expected to grow at 6.5% in 2016 ahead of China, which is likely to grow at only 6.3%, according to a recent report released by the International Monetary Fund (IMF). The IMF has raised the growth projections for the global economy from 3.5% in 2015 to 3.7% in 2016 due to lower oil prices.…

How To Cut Your—And India’s—Electricity Bills

How To Cut Your—And India’s—Electricity Bills

We may soon have to get used to seeing more LED bulbs in our homes and streets now with the government adopting a new programme to promote their use. With the Prime Minister’s backing, the National Programme forLED-based Home and Street Lighting will look to replace normal, incandescent bulbs that are widely used with more energy-efficient LED bulbs.…

Is India’s Gold Fascination Waning?

Is India’s Gold Fascination Waning?

Has the government finally succeeded in weaning Indians away from gold? It seems so, going by data released by the finance ministry to the Parliament recently.…

India Short Of Half A Million Policemen

India Short Of Half A Million Policemen

While India reported a 10% increase in crimes in 2013, the force required to tackle crimes—policemen—continues to be missing from action. According to data released by the National Crime Records Bureau, there is a shortage in policemen of nearly 23% across the country.…