More Drunk Driving Cases In `Dry’ States Like Gujarat!

Bollywood actor Salman Khan’s 2002 hit-and-run case continues to keep the spotlight on road accidents due to drunk driving. IndiaSpend had earlier reported that 77% of road accidents were due to the fault of the driver.   Data released by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways shows that of the total 497,686 road accidents … Continued

India’s Right To Education Deadline Comes & Will Go

  Highlights * Over Rs 95,000 crore spent since 2009 on Right To Education Act to ensure compulsory primary education * Over 50% primary schools in Bihar don’t have complete boundary wall – a key requirement of RTE Act * Over 97% schools in Bihar don’t have electricity connection as against the all-India average of … Continued

UPA stable even without SP: Manmohan Singh

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has acknowledged his teetering coalition could be further undermined by the pullout of another ally, while insisting it will not fall before polls due next year.   Speaking on his way back from a summit in South Africa, Manmohan Singh said he could not rule out the possibility of the Samajwadi … Continued

More steps will be taken to bring down CAD: Raghuram Rajan

“It depends on exports, sentiment of people towards gold and oil prices. Undoubtedly, we want to bring it down from where it is (in the quarter ended of December 31, 2012). It has to be brought down to 3% over a period of time. Lower gold imports and higher exports would help.” Read More

External debt increases marginally

India’s external debt stock increased 8.9% to $376.3 billion at the end of December 2012 from $345.5 billion at the end of March 2012. According to data released by the Finance Ministry, short-term debt accounted for 24.4% of India’s external debt while the remaining (75.6%) was long-term debt.   The share of Government (Sovereign) and non-Government … Continued

Tankers and the economy of thirst

Thirst is Marathwada’s greatest crop this season. Forget sugarcane. Thirst, human and industrial, eclipses anything else. Those harvesting it reap tens of millions of rupees each day across the region. The van loads of dried-out cane you see on the roads could end up at cattle camps as fodder. The countless “tankers” you see on … Continued

Foreign investments and their macro effects

Reserve Bank of India is reported to have suggested fiscal measures for boosting returns from foreign investments by resident businesses. This includes tax exemptions for dividend payouts, among others. The central bank should have been alert earlier.   The first warning note came in 2010-11 when the deficit on investment income —  a component of the current account … Continued

Despite All, Nuclear Power Production Up 60% In Last 6 Years

A nuclear power plant envisaged in 1988 between then Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi and Soviet Union President Mikhail Gorbachev is still to generate even a single unit of electricity. Twenty five years and over Rs 15,000 crore later, the Kudankulam Power Plant’s two 1,000 MW (water-water power reactors) plants are yet to start feeding … Continued

Why The Government Needs A Plan To Fix Non-Plan Spends

“Government expenditure boosts aggregate demand and it has both good and bad consequences. Wisdom lies in finding the correct level of government expenditure” – India Finance Minister, P. Chidambaram, Union Budget 2013-14 Speech.   A look back at Government expenditure numbers over the last few years highlights the significance of the Finance Minister’s words in … Continued